Torta caprese is a traditional Italian chocolate and almond or walnut cake named after the island of Capri from which it originates. Many variations of this cake are made. It is sometimes made with a small amount of Strega or other liqueur.
1. Scald almonds in boiling water for about 2 minutes and allow to dry. Peel and grind the almonds to make almond flour.
2. Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt over a bain-marie.
3. Preheat the oven (150°C for a conventional oven and 130°C for fan forced). In a bowl, combine the butter and sugar until creamy. Add the egg yolks and almond flour, followed by the melted chocolate and liqueur, and combine.
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form and gently fold into the cake mix. This recipe can be used to make 1 large cake or approximately 15 individual portions, using ramekins.
5. Line the base of a cake tin or ramekins with baking paper and grease the borders with butter, then pour the mixture inside.
6. If you are making 1 large cake, bake for 50 minutes. If you are using Ramekins, bake for 35 minutes.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin or ramekins. Place on a plate and dust with icing sugar to serve.
8. This recipe is best eaten after 1-2 days. Serve with a scoop of ice-cream.
*In this recipe, the almonds are used to make almond flour. They can be substituted for almond meal, however using fresh almonds will result in a better texture.
This dish is the perfect combination of Australian native ingredients and classic Italian tradition. I’ve marinated the tomatoes in Warndu’s delicious wattleseed balsamic vinegar and native thyme oil, topping both with stracciatella cheese. Warndu uses this country’s native plants, nuts, seeds and proteins and each of these will create meaningful meals, meals that are local and seasonal in the true sense of words.
This dish inspired by one of my recent trips to the Huon Salmon farm in Tasmania. Makes a huge difference to the taste of the dish when fish is harvested at night and arrives fresh the next day. Paired with a delicious fresh and simple spring recipe.